Tuesday, November 1, 2011

All Hallow's Eve

So, let me preface this by saying that Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. I love dark, mysterious, and scary art and music, and this is the one time of the year where society agrees with me. My Mom always goes all out for Halloween with all sorts of scary and creative decorations. I was raised to never go half way with Halloween! I also never quite considered it to be Halloween until I was terrified at least once, so I have to continue this tradition by terrifying the neighborhood children. Bill and I started this last year, and Devin came to join in the fun this year. 

In order to create the "scary" Halloween experience, you have to start with the right ambiance. It's not too particularly difficult to make our house visually creepy. There aren't any street lights by our house or any lights in our front yard. In order to even see our front door, you have to walk all the way up onto our porch. We also have a large display window that can be seen from the street. It's perfect for putting up creepy decorations. This Halloween, we put some large candlesticks, skulls and a jar of "dead rats in formaldehyde" (not real ones lol) in our window. We also put a large floor lamp on the porch with an eerie blue light. Instead of leaving the door closed this year, we actually left it standing open and put up a large red tarp, so the kids walked up to the front door and wondered what was around the corner...

As far as sound ambiance, we definitely had that covered. I had my ipod with a scary playlist going in the garage and Bill had more scary songs playing in the living room. I'd say the best part of the night was when even the teenagers were afraid to come within three feet of the door. Mwahahahahahahah!

Some of the songs we had playing that night:






We also played Lost, of course.

Bill checking out his costume in the mirror while Devin waits stoically at the door...
Bill in his costume. Imagine this guy coming around the corner while I'm handing out candy. Several children ran away without candy!

Devin. He waited perfectly still until I had handed out candy and then would turn around and yell. Usually the kids ran away after that. We had one group of middle school boys who poked at him until he turned around and lunged. They came back again about ten minutes later.
Me. I was an escaped mental patient of some sort. LOL.

Awww...Aren't we a cute couple?

No comments:

Post a Comment